Job ID: 188
Job Location: Commencement Bay Lumber - Tacoma, WA
Reports To: Operations Manager
Position Purpose: Plan, organize, and direct all general maintenance in support of the sawmill complex including buildings, log and lumber processing equipment, and all mobile equipment. Provide and enhance a safe working environment for all employees and contractors. Focus maintenance activities to minimize downtime, maximize quality, and achieve environmental compliance, in a timely and cost effective manner. Consistently work to enhance and improve mill operating performance.
Dimension / Scope:
Annual production (net) 340 MMBM
Annual Sales Revenue $129 MM
Annual Dept. Payroll 1.9 MM
Annual Dept. Budget $4.7 MM
Number of Employees Supervised 31 hourly / 2 salaried
Supervise hourly maintenance employees, and contractor employees, who are highly skilled millwrights, electricians, and mechanics. These employees provide full maintenance and preventive maintenance services for the operations and are responsible for assuring that the mill is in optimal state of repair and alignment, providing for high uptime, lumber quality and achieving all other maintenance operating goals.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
1. Assures a safe operating environment by implementing the annual safety plan (including fire protection and plant security), and utilizing strong employee involvement in safety initiatives.
2. Contributes to and implements the annual maintenance plan and budget. Continually monitor and assess operating performance against plan goals including uptime, lumber quality, preventive maintenance and maintenance department costs. Act to correct variances and assure ongoing enhancements and improvements.
3. Assist operating personnel in the implementation of the annual capital improvement plan. Provides technical maintenance and logistics support as required.
4. Maintain staffing levels commensurate with production levels to ensure minimum maintenance costs and highest maintenance man- hour productivity. Participate in a rigorous selection system for the hiring of new employees adhering to standards for qualifications based on skills, experience and motivation.
5. Implements and monitors employee training and skills development programs to assure a safe, productive and quality oriented workforce. Maintenance training is a critical function given the continual need for highly skilled electrical and mechanical personnel.
6. Designs and implements an effective preventive maintenance program and work order system to establish priorities for mechanical/electrical supervisors and subordinates.
7. Establishes maintenance repair and operating inventory levels for the department consistent with repair response time and inventory costs.
8. Assures that all maintenance and repair materials are requisitioned and available as required to achieve uptime and inventory objectives.
9. Assure a positive labor relation atmosphere through firm and consistent application of labor agreement and maintenance of open and honest communication with union representatives and employees.
10. Assure a work environment, which respects the rights of employees. Assure that all employment and personnel activity is conducted in a non-discriminatory manner in keeping with legal requirements and Simpson policies. Acts promptly to investigate employee complaints and take corrective action as required.
11. Participate in and respond to issues impacting community relations.
12. Assure that all environmental standards are met and in compliance with company guidelines through visual and on site inspection, responding immediately when corrective action is necessary.
Interpersonal Contacts: Communicates and interacts with a wide variety of mill and staff personnel including hourly production personnel, mill supervisors and managers, area staff personnel, union officials, and vendors / suppliers.
Decisions and Key Mental Challenges: Implementing and improving maintenance activities and training and utilizing subordinates to maximize the level of preventive and corrective maintenance services in the most cost effective and timely manner are key position challenges.
Qualifications – Required:
• 7 – 10 years progressive sawmill or wood products maintenance supervisory experience.
• Must have a thorough knowledge of maintenance and preventive maintenance, work order systems, capital project work, hands-on experience in mechanical, electrical, electronic, computer, hydraulic, pneumatic and welding fields together with the ability to read and understand blueprints, schematics and technical information.
• Minimum of high school diploma and/or advanced vocational school maintenance training (two years) or apprenticeship program (four to five years)
• Basic PC skills training in Excel and Access
• Associate or BA Degree –maintenance / engineering or related field
• Strong leadership and communication skills
• Basic planning and budgeting skills
• Analytical skills
• Self starter/initiative
• Strong organization and project skills
• Demonstrated high personal motivation and the ability to train and motivate others
Qualifications – Preferred:
Travel Required? No
This job has been closed.